Summertime means plenty of time spent outdoors – swimming, beach tripping, boating, barbecuing… The best of summer. But after a full day of adventures and sun, it can be nice to break away from the heat, keep cool, and relax. For those times, there’s nothing quite like a summer movie night. What could be better than free entertainment and creating priceless memories with friends and family?
Some of my favorite memories include watching movies with my friends and cousins. In the summer months, when school’s out and the days are hot and long and there’s nothing that has to be done, it’s the perfect time for blankets and popcorn and a good movie.
Here are my picks for the 10 best summer movies:
- To Catch a Thief – One of my all-time favorites! Starring Cary Grant and Grace Kelly, this Hitchcock film features romance, mystery, and intrigue along the beautiful French Riviera.
- The Parent Trap – I never tire of this one. Wholesome entertainment that everyone can enjoy. Plus, it all begins at a summer camp where the best kinds of memories are created.
- The Sandlot – A classic! Friendship, adventures, and America’s favorite pastime. It’s quite simply summer at its best.
- Beach Blanket Bingo – This film is silly and fun, and with music from Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello, it has all the makings of a classic beach party movie.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl – One of the best adventure movies! No doubt, you’re familiar with this one…. I mean, it’s hard to forget a character like Captain Jack Sparrow. I love this Disney favorite.
- Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation – James Stewart is a businessman who takes his family on a seaside vacation, which turns out to be everything but relaxing.
- Hook – I love this retelling of Peter Pan. A grown-up Peter must remember who he is in order to save his kids who’ve been kidnapped by Captain Hook.
- Troop Beverly Hills – An all-around fun comedy. Shelley Long is a spoiled Beverly Hills housewife that takes leadership of her daughter’s Girl Scout troop and teaches the troops some very useful skills… like where to appraise diamonds!
- Gidget – A summer 50’s classic. Sandra Dee plays a teen that falls for two surfers who teach her to surf. I’ve enjoyed this movie since my teen years.
- Rear Window – Another Hitchcock film with a little more suspense. Jimmy Stewart stars as a photojournalist with a broken leg and little to do but observe his neighbors from his rear window during a sweltering New York summer. When he thinks he witnesses a murder, he tries to solve the crime himself alongside his love interest, Lisa Fremont, played by Grace Kelly. This movie is fantastic, and Hitchcock does well to tell stories within a story while never once leaving Stewart’s apartment.
Any other movies you’d add to the list? I would love to know!
Summer is officially here! I love this season and all the extraordinary moments and opportunities it presents. There’s nothing quite like these long, hot, lazy, crazy days. I took a little time this week to put together my summer bucket list, something I think is great to have as a reference and goal sheet of sorts for a summer well-spent. Here’s to checking off everything on my list!
What’s on your summer bucket list?
baseball / book / sno-ball / cruiser / Mickey waffle maker / The Parent Trap / picnic basket / Cape Cod postcard
Believe it or not, I’m not big on shopping. I love getting new clothes but hate going on the search for things I need. I tend to stick with pieces that are classic, timeless, and easy to wear, and have a few go-to places where I know I’ll find exactly that.
When you do find a good thing, you’ve just got to share. These embroidered shorts are it! Bright, comfortable, and finished with the prettiest details. Not too short, not too long and in a lightweight cotton-linen fabric. They’re perfect for summer. Plus, that blue!
Also worth noting: they’re lined and feature a smocked waistband (super comfy and a nice, flattering fit).
I’ve paired them with fitted tees and tanks and a fun statement earring and absolutely love them. If you’re in the market for a great pair of shorts, I am happy to recommend these. If you want something more neutral, they’re also available in white. You can shop them here.
Tee / earrings (old J.Crew) / Italian phrasebook / sunglasses / shorts
In my current job, I get just one full weekend off a month. So it’s super exciting when I have two full days with no obligations or necessary tasks on my schedule.
Saturday was the perfect day for some fresh air. The sun was finally out after more than a week of rain, so we decided to seize the day.
We stopped for snowballs, then headed to Magazine Street for a little shopping and sightseeing. Surprisingly, it wasn’t the least bit crowded and parking was a breeze!
I love the homes and small businesses that you can find in the area. Some opulent, some more quaint – like this charming local shop front. Isn’t it pretty?
The landscape of the surrounding Uptown neighborhoods is one of the best. I spotted this beautiful southern Magnolia during our walk. As crazy as this may sound, it’s been a while since I’ve seen a Magnolia flower this close, and they bloom all around the city neighborhoods. I’m almost certain Louisiana has the best state flower in the south, but I may be biased.
I left Magazine Street with just one small purchase – this pineapple sand spike, which I think will come in handy for upcoming beach trips.
Hope you enjoyed a wonderful weekend and wishing you a great week!
photo by Tec Petaja
Happy Friday, friends! Here are a few things that made me happy this week.
1. Pencil & Paper Co.’s tablescape for House Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I love the mix of color and texture they chose. So summery and inviting!
2. Tie-shoulder peplum top. A recent purchase that I love. This printed top is just the cutest, colorful piece. Pair with classic or white denim, and you’re all set to go!
3. Pineapple bookends. I can never seem to get enough pineapples! These bookends are my favorite and less than $20! They’re a great way to keep all the books on your summer reading list together.
4. Three Reasons Why Slow Growth is Better than Fast from Lara. An encouraging read I think you’ll appreciate.
5. Four grown-up ice cream floats. One word – YUM!
6. Palm leaves welcome mat. One of my favorite Etsy finds and such a fun welcome for guests!
7. Lilly Pulitzer’s Splash Into Summer Event. If you’ve been eyeing any Lilly lately, now may be a good time to buy. The prettiest free gifts with purchase now through Sunday!
8. Magnolia’s Father’s Day Gift Guide. Perfect for the dad who likes to work with his hands and loves #demoday and Fixer Upper.
9. Memorial Day side dishes from Southern Living. So many recipes from which to choose! I definitely want to try the Tex-Mex Deviled Eggs and the Shout Hallelujah Potato Salad.
10. Lettermade’s American Flag cocktail napkins. Perfect for those red, white, and blue parties you’re hosting this summer!